When you’re looking to have a new fence installed, you not only want one that will add to your home’s curb appeal and increase its value, but you also want one that is sturdy enough to stand the test of time. That means the fence material needs to be durable as well as attractive. One popular choice of material for fencing is aluminum. But how long does aluminum last when used in fencing, what factors contribute to its life expectancy, and what maintenance is required to ensure you get the most out of your aluminum fence?
How Long Does an Aluminum Fence Last?
Depending on the quality of the materials used to make it, an aluminum fence can generally last anywhere from 20 to 50 years when installed correctly. That is significantly longer than many other fencing materials.
Factors That Help Make Aluminum Fences Last.
Here are some of the benefits of an aluminum fence and how they can contribute to how long an aluminum fence can last.
- Rust resistance — Aluminum is a popular metal material for outdoor fencing and decor because it naturally resists rust. When steel and iron are exposed to air and water, they begin to corrode and form a layer of iron oxide, more commonly known as rust. Aluminum, on the other hand, doesn’t rust. Unlike iron oxide, aluminum forms a layer of aluminum oxide. This layer acts as a barrier and helps protect aluminum from corrosion. It’s also what gives aluminum its shiny metallic appearance. The aluminum oxide layer is also known to be self-healing, which means that when the aluminum is scratched, the liquid-like aluminum oxide layer can flow into the damaged area, preserving its ability to protect against corrosion. Most aluminum fences also have a powder-coated finish, which helps to give them an extra layer of protection.
- Weather resistance — Aluminum fence panels are highly weather resistant. They can stand up to rain and sunlight much better than other types of fencing materials. They are also ideal in areas with high winds and can perform better under those conditions than wood or vinyl fencing.
- Lightweight — Aluminum fence panels are usually lighter than steel or wrought iron fencing. Aluminum has a lower density than steel and iron, so a piece of aluminum the same size and shape as a piece of steel or iron will weigh less, which also makes shipping and installation much more manageable. This also means aluminum fences put less stress on the posts and foundation of the fence, making the fence less likely to sink or tilt over time.
- Proper installation — You might be tempted to install an aluminum fence yourself, but if your fence is not installed correctly by professionals, its stability could be compromised. Uneven weight distribution or excessive strain on sections of the fence can cause it to warp, bend, or even collapse. You can avoid this problem by having your fence installed correctly by Greenhill Fencing, a leading fencing company in Chester County, PA.
Maintaining Your Aluminum Fence
One of the most attractive features of an aluminum fence is its low maintenance, especially compared to other types of fences. The classic style of a wooden fence looks great in a wide range of settings, but a wood fence requires maintenance every few years to ensure that it lasts, including staining, painting, and waterproofing. Aluminum fences require far less effort to maintain their color and appearance.
When an aluminum fence is made of quality materials and installed properly, it can last a long time. However, there are some things you can do to contribute to how long an aluminum fence can last:
- Keep your fence clean — Don’t let dirt, grime, fertilizer, or other debris build up. When the fence is dirty, use soap and a garden hose or pressure washer to clean it. If you find mold or mildew growing on your aluminum fence, it can usually be handled with a vinegar cleaning solution.
- Avoid physical damage — If you see dead trees or tree branches near your fence, have them removed. Falling trees or tree branches during harsh weather conditions can damage sections of your aluminum fence. Also, avoid collisions with vehicles, lawnmowers, weed trimmers and edgers, and other electric lawn and garden tools.
What Are the Best Uses for Aluminum Fencing?
Aluminum fencing is versatile and can work in just about any landscape setting to beautify your property. It provides an elegant wrought iron appearance without the expense, and the traditional black or white finish can complement any garden decor. It’s ideal for installing around any yards or pools that don’t require privacy fencing. Because of how long an aluminum fence can last, it’s a perfect solution for any area that requires a fence made of a low-maintenance material.
Contact Us Today for a Free Quote!
Aluminum fences are an excellent choice for any homeowner looking for an attractive, high-quality, durable fence that can stand the test of time. If you’ve been wondering how long an aluminum fence can last compared to other materials or are looking to have a fence installed, contact Greenhill Fencing today to discuss our aluminum fencing options. We are among the premier fence companies in Philadelphia, PA, and can help you decide which fencing options are best for you and offer a free estimate on your fencing project. In addition, our expert fence installers can provide you with professional fence installation to ensure that your aluminum fence lasts a long time.